SC - Boars head songs and menus

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Sun Oct 22 06:37:04 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 21 Oct 00, , that Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

[quoting Tara]
> Larkes in hot schow, ladys for to pik,
> Good drink therto, lucius and fin –
> Bluet of almain, romnay and win,
> With hay!

> Among the good drinks: bruet of almond, sweet wine and wine.
> Could
> they be drinking the almond milk?

I don't think "almain" is meant to be almond, but "Allemagne" --
which is the French word for "German".  I have no idea what
"German Bruet" would contain.

However, in the glossary to Curye on Inglysch, I found references.
Brewet de Almayne is a dish of meat (chicken or kid or rabbit),
cooked in almond milk with ginger and galingale.  Some versions
are colored; others are left white.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann