SC - Ein Kuchen

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 22 18:07:18 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/22/00 1:09:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
>
> > it Schaub is defined also as a "tangle of straw" or a "sheaf."  It also
> > had an interesting entry for Schaubrot (shewbread).  It is possible, but not
> > provable, that what is intended is to pour the almond milk over bread (thus
> > creating a secondary dish).
> >

> There are also references to using straw to line the bottom of pans to strain
> other things, including cheeses, Unfortunately I do not have the sources
> available at this time. Stefan SHOULD have those references in his
> Flori-thingy since it was discussed on this list within recent memory.

Traditionally (note that that does not necessarily mean, historically)
junket is named for the mat or basket of broom stalks (genet, jonquet,
jonquil) used to drain the soft curds to a jellid consistency.

There's a description of using reed stalks (IIRC) to weave a loose mat
or basket used to drain curds in a 14th-century English recipe for a
dish called chynche, I believe.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy