SC - OT: Guessing at a translation

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Mon Oct 23 01:39:04 PDT 2000

Isha ArrowHawk wrote:

> > Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
> > Bruyerecourt.
>
> Would this be close to:
>
> I am not a prince, nor duke, nor count, just a knight of Bruyerecourt?

More like "King, nor am I prince, nor duke, nor count either; I am lord
of Bruyerecourt."

This is a variation of a quote of one of La Pucelle's companions, a
common born mercenary nicknamed La Hire (ire or anger) for his volatile
personality. He laid siege to a chateau and captured it, at which time
he uttered the above quote, except referring to the chateau he took,
which I changed to my own estate at Bruyerecourt.

Seumas (who sometimes goes in houppelandes as Edouard de Bruyerecourt)
- --