SC - FW: Anniversary banquet

Steven Weidner bigsteve at nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 23 13:25:47 PDT 2000

>About 5 mts ago I asked one of the cooks in Calafia to do a "Viking" feast
>for me ...
> Third Course
>
> Roast vennison

Feel free to ignore this if you know it not to apply, as my knowledge of
geography isn't what it could be.  However, if you're doing this in the east
kingdom, this is going to be *expensive*.  The reason?  Apparently, it's
against the law to serve game meats at an event where payment is required to
participate.  In other words, if you're serving venison that was contributed
by a whole bunch of hunters, you have to make that available to *everyone*
(even passers-by) for no cost.  If you charge for it, it has to be deer that
was raised in an FDA approved manner, which gets really expensive.  Check
local laws if you want to be sure.

If anyone out there knows better, please feel free to correct or contradict
me.  However, this is what I've been told by some folks with professional
food service experience, so I'm inclined to believe them.  Besides, I'd love
to have some precedents as I have a feast coming up in February, and I'd
planned on serving venison until I heard this.

Steinn Karlsson