SC - Re: East Kingdom University (peach pits)

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Mon Oct 23 18:29:14 PDT 2000

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 harper at idt.net wrote:
> On a more practical note, I think the pits would have held their
> shape even better if I could have used less almond in the mix.  I
> would encourage anyone trying the recipe to stay as close as you
> can to the 1:2 almond:sugar ratio.

I have made little marchpane (and hazelnut) cakes using the ratio:

   1 : 1, ground almond to confectioner's sugar

I use egg white, beaten to the foam stage, added slowly with a pastry
fork/knife until the marchpane is sufficintly stiff to form a ball. The
nut paste is sufficiently cohesive to roll to 1/4 inch and cut into
shapes.  I'm sure it would hold a peach pit shape at this point.

It would be interesting to add ground hazelnut to the peach pit mixture
for a more robust nutty taste.

For my personal amusement, I'm experimenting with fruit peels and
toppings. This weekend I'm doing one w/ candied orange peel.

One recipe I have used is posted via the "marchpane" link at:
http://www.nmia.com/~ariann/

Enjoy

Ariann