SC - pierogys

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 23 22:26:26 PDT 2000

Rivka asked in reply to Bear:
> Where can I find this book?  Is it somewhere on line?
>
> Rivka

> For an Eastern European feast, I would look at Pouncy's translation of
> Domostroi and Dembinska's Food and Drink in Medieval Poland for recipes.
>
> Bear

I believe a fair amount of info about both of these books can be found
in the fd-Russia-msg and the fd-Poland-msg files that I mentioned to
you in another message.

I bought the Domostroi at this last Pennsic as a remaindered book, so
you might be able to find it at a good price. On the otherhand, if you
don't find it now, it may be difficult to get in the future.

There are very few books on food of medieval eastern Europe and these
two actually have few, documented recipes. But despite their faults,
if you are interested in period eastern European food, I would recommend
going ahead and getting them.

If you are unsure where to find such books, take a look at this file
in the FOOD-BOOKS section of my Florilegium.
merch-cookbks-msg (10K)  8/31/99    Merchants selling period cookbooks.

You asked if these were online. If you are interested in cookbooks that
are online check this file. Although most of these are simply the translations
or page images and are not redactions.
online-ckbks-msg   (8K)  9/26/00    Online versions of period cookbooks.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net