Good gentles, HOLD! Please? (Was: Re: SC - Fw: Worst Critique Ever)

Isha ArrowHawk ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 24 13:20:54 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Philippa Alderton <phlip at morganco.net>
To: SCA Cooks <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 8:16 AM
Subject: SC - Fw: Worst Critique Ever

> Subject: Re: Worst Critique Ever
>

> >Well, since Llew has asked Hauviette to post his rebuttal publicly, I
> >suppose I might just as well post my response publicly, under the heading
> he
> >sent it to me privately with.
> >
> >#################################

       Gentles, good gentles!

       Am I on the correct list this afternoon, or have I accidentally
stumbled into the fighters list?

       I know not one whit about SCA cooking, so this missive will most
likely earn the loss of my head, but I feel I must reply.  If this happens,
so be it.

       My two coins of the realm:

       Point the first: everyone's palate is different, if it was not, we
would then all enjoy the same foods and tastes.  How boring this would be.
I have never tasted period food at all, so my opinion would be rather if the
food was cooked, whether it was hot or cold, whether it was doing the
backstroke in a sea of grease, or whatever.  But you can rest assured that I
would ask questions....to learn of how it should taste, look, etcetera, then
form a better opinion of the meal.

       Point the second:  one person's pleasure is another's poison.  What
tastes wonderful will taste horrid to another...it is but human nature, we
are diverse, with differing tastes, and feelings of how things should be.
This is what makes us such a marvelous group...we aren't boring.

        Point the third:  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, be it good,
bad, or indifferent.  This is an unalienable right granted to us all, and if
not entirely agreed with by all, it should be respected, at the very least.

       Point the fourth:  Most everyone who graces this list with their
presence is experienced in the art...the *art*, of period cooking, making
and creating feasts that will bring smiles and much napkin touching to the
drooling mouths of the people who sit at table to enjoy the feast.  As
experienced artists, each knows what works, and is acceptable *to them*.
But, remember please, artists are a picky lot, perfectionists to the
extreme...and this is a good thing, for their being such can only serve to
improve each successive attempt.

       Point the fifth:  Mayhap the opinions posted here should have been
taken private, it is not my place to judge.  But, each kingdom/group has its
own 'accepted procedure' for doing things, posting critiques, etcetera.
This is where the oft overused word 'respect' enters into the picture.
Instead of immediately raising the mace and sword, and hacking each other to
pieces verbally...step back, think on words, and the feelings of all
involved.  Fear is a grand teacher, it teaches some to not speak at all, for
fear of earning the wrath, either from pen or tongue, of those who read the
words or hear the opinions.  Stand for your opinions, yes, but do it with
the grace, honor, and love that I have come to respect on this list.

        Point the sixth:  We are family here...or all of you are, knowing
each other from events/feasts/whatever that you've attended together.
Families will have squabbles and spats, it serves to bring them closer, and
aids in the learning of each member's quirks.  We are also adults, and as
such, should be well able to handle the slings and arrows and sometime barbs
tossed our way by others in the family.

        Point the last:  My opinion may only serve to add still more flames
to the fire, I pray not.  But as an 'outsider/impartial observer' here, it
saddens me to see friends of such long standing wielding words with such
ire.  The pen may be mightier than the sword, but it can wound to the quick
just as easily.  Please, good gentles, cease, agree to disagree, and take up
the laurels of friendship again.

        Respect is earned, not given.  But friendship I offer freely to all.
And now, I await the flames that will come my way....

        In nervous service,

             Ari