SC - Bad Feasts--Philosophically Speaking

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Oct 24 14:42:31 PDT 2000

Some things I've picked up from my own agonies and those of people I've
worked with.

If you are the autocrat, be sure to firmly explain in advance
what you want. Specifically, if you want the feast to be vegetarian,
Jewish, and/or non-red-meat eating and/or carnivore friendly, explain
that. Be very clear about the things you specifically want from the feast,
and don't add more stuff later if you can help it.

Within reason, give your feastocrat what they ask for. Don't make
unreasonable demands on the feastocrat.

Don't accept a feastocrat without a bid. I don't care if they are your
best friend, your mother or your laurel. Get a bid first, or you might as
well shoot yourself in the head, it's so much an invitation for hassle.

Find out well in advance whether the feastocrat is willing to accept
adjustments of numbers (for instance, decreasing the numbers if it is
clearn the attendance is going to be low). However, remember the
feastocrat's job is to come in at or under budget with the number of seats
you agreed upon. If you think it would be good to change the numbers, talk
ot the feastocrat; if they are not amenable, you are out of luck, just
live with it. however, make sure you get a feastocrat who won't play "i
know best" and juggle the numbers behind your back!

Give your feastocrat a budget. Make it clear what is considered legitimate
expenses ahead of time (test feast, serving equipment, etc) and what is
not (I worked on a dayboard where the other person involved, one ofthe
autocrat's buddies, tried to claim gas and tolls!)

If the kitchen is going to be shared between cookign staff, make that
clear to everyone ahead of time. Make sure the scheduling has been worked
out ahead of time. Make sure someone is seeing that dishes get washed.

During the event, check in with your kitchen staff-- even if it is only by
looking into the kitchen from time to time to be sure that the world has
not blown up. If there is an emergency, people will often be too busy
dealing with it to call you, even if calling you might mean you could
round up more help for them.

When dealing an inexperienced SCA cook (I don't care how much mundane
experience they have), make sure they have advice, backup and spotting
from an experienced cook you trust and they will listen to. Also make sure
that they have as much help as they need. If you are asked to round up
help, make sure you get the right type. 10 male teenagers who can't boiul
water may or may not be helpful: you may get a pitiful cry for 'SOMEONE
WHO CAN COOK!" an hour before the feast.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker