SC - Buch von guter Speise: new edition with English translat ion

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 03:07:08 PDT 2000

	Brighid, probably too sensitive for her own good wrote:
	For me, the problem is that she went beyond pointing out errors.
	Saying that the online version spreads "false information" is more
	than criticism; it's an attack.  The impression I got is that she
felt it
	would have been better if the earlier translations had never been
	published.
	In addition to that opinion, I have an emotional bias.  I know how
	much work, frustration, joy, and mental sweat goes into a major
	translation, and I can't help but think about how I would feel if
	someone made comments like that about my own project.

I also found her words offensive (not yours Thomas). To me Ms Anderson's
remarks appear to be intellectual snobbery of the worst kind - "my way is
the only way".

I've used Alia Atlas's translation for years. It was in fact the first
original source I used, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been
inspired by it to start doing their own redactions. Even if it isn't a 100%
accurate translation, like all fields, someone has to do the initial work
and 'break ground', as it were. Unless you go into it with intent to
deceive, or disinterest in accuracy (like Vehling), everything that
increases our knowledge should be welcomed.

Yes, I will be ordering the new book, but I have the feeling I may be
'editing' a certain sentence with some Twink.

I can't wait to read your translation Brighid, I haven't done any Spanish
cooking before (excepting modern - I make killer gazpacho) and am really
looking forward to learning a new cuisine.

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucrezia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at yahoo.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove

"Well, Mr. Perfect had better be polite, otherwise I turn him into
catfood..."  The Fifth Element

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.