SC - Spicing dishes

Phil Anderson phil at dev.spis.co.nz
Wed Oct 25 16:08:19 PDT 2000

Ras writes, quoting me:

> > In such a context, the cook is preparing a dish for the
> > feasters, not for themselves.
>
> And I must disagree with this. I prepare all my feast dishes to MY taste.

And in fact, so do I. My tastes are reasonably in line with most of
the local populace, and I select dishes that I want to eat myself. But I
am still preparing the feast so that _they_ will enjoy the food.

> [...]
> It is impossible to cook to the feaster's tastes (or to their lack of
> taste, depending on your viewpoint because there are 200 different ideas
> of good taste in the hall.

Yes, but it is possible to be aware of when one's own tastes differ
from those of most other people. For example, if it were to be the
case that 90% of the feasters thought that there was, say, too much
ginger in a dish, then that was a spicing error regardless of whether
the cook liked lots of ginger. The cook needs to learn to cut back a
little.

If I'm just cooking for myself, I can do what I like. If I'm cooking for
others, I must consider them.

>If the cook is a bad cook then ban them from doing feasts.

And how do we tell that they are a bad cook, other than by finding
that they fail to prepare dishes that accord with the tastes of the
diners?

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid