SC - Pumpkins and such...

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 25 20:02:58 PDT 2000

in the ongoing discussion about pumpkins, canned vs. fresh and which goards
might or might not be period, I asked about Libby's 100% (canned) pumpkin
and whether or not it was actually 100% pumpkin and Lord Ras kindly replied
with:

> All in all this is a good thing BUT the long huge squash with a small
bulbous
> end and a very fat long neck that weighs up to 1o lb. or more is legally
> 'pumpkin' for the purposes of producing canned pumpkin. It not only has a
> better color but also  has a more 'pumpkin-like flavor than that fruit
that
> we  most often associate as being a pumpkin. :-)

This is really *excellent* useful information in clearing up the confusion
caused by Sioban's post, thank you so much!  I'm so glad that someone knew
this.

So, mi'Lord... what is the "long huge squash with a small bulbous end and a
very fat long neck that ways up to 1o (is that 1 or 10?) lb" called in the
grocery store's produce department?  Is the skin of this type of pumpkin
orange, or some other color?  And how do you recommend that I test it for
ripeness?

All of the recipes that I have for making "pureed pumpkin" calls for "sugar
pumpkins" and that's what I had intended to experiment with.  Should I also
buy one of these varieties of squash since it has a "more 'pumpkin-like
flavor'" than what I think of as pumpkin to compare the two?   Would there
be any difference in the preparation method, or can I use the same method
that I have recommended for creating pumpkin puree?

*And*, more importantly to the purpose of this list, is _that variety of
squash_ "period"?

This information brings an interesting turn to the conversation.

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier