SC - Curry

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Oct 26 10:30:01 PDT 2000

>I may be mistaken but I heard a report this morning on NPR that I thought was
>indicating that curry is addictive?  I only heard part of the report.  Does
>anyone know the details?

>>> Gaylin J. Walli<gwalli at ptc.com> 10/26/00 11:40:42 AM >>>
<<<SNIP>>>
Essentially the news report released from London talks about how
a research porject at Nottingham Trent University "found that
eating a spcy curry prompts the kind of physiological symptoms
addictive substances often provoke." Not having seen the actual
research for the study, I'd be curious to know how they got their
data. But perhaps this tidbit will help you if you wanted to do
further research.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've seen several studies that suggest that hot items promote endorphin and another neurotansmitter(?) release that is just like the "runner's high" that was topic in vogue in past years.  As you eat more and more hot foods across time, your body releases more and more of them to attend to the pain and chemical reaction in taste buds.  This is all pretty solid stuff.  It gets dicey when the inference is made that this leads to addiction.  Various studies have more or less credbility in methodology and nuerophysiological foundation.  Maybe not physically additing, but possibly sought for the pleasant endorphin rush.

niccolo difancesco
(Studied research in neurotransmitter reuptake and release in a former life)