SC - what to do with a pumpkin's insides?

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 11:56:32 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/00 10:26:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
orlaith at usa.net writes:

>  My cookbook says that in order
>  to make pumpkin pie with it I need to make pumpkin puree (SP?).  However
the
>  instructions for that say cook the pumpkin then slice off the rind.  Is it
>  possible to still make a pie with the precooked pumpkin?  If not any
>  suggestions what I should do with it?

The cookbook says to do that as it is easier to separate the pumpkin fruit
from the rind if you steam or boil the pumpkin. Separate the stringy stuff
from the meatier fruit. Take out the seeds. Chunk up the thick pumpkin meat
and steam in a steamer. Or you can microwave in water (which I've done) and
get the same thing. It softens the meat of the pumpkin. Then blend the snot
out of it in a blender. This is puree. Now you can use it for any pumpkin
receipe just like you would canned.

Throw away the stringy stuff. But spread the pumpkin seeds on a greased
baking sheet and roast at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (till just turning
brown). You can spray them with oil first, if you like. Then salt. Cool. Eat.
Like sunflower seeds, but better.

Yummy.

Lars