SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

SCAbeathog at cs.com SCAbeathog at cs.com
Thu Oct 26 13:11:39 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/2000 12:38:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

<< > >"We know sketchily what peasants ate and cooked and it was a much
simpler
 > >diet. There were fewer, if any, spices, little meat except just after
 > >harvest and usually chicken or pork.
 > Your honest to goodness dirt grubbing peasant wouldn't have spices except
in
 > whatever largesse of leftover food the hall sent out. As the middle class
 > developed, more non-nobility had spices in larger amounts. >>

Please forgive me for jumping into what may be the end of a thread, but I am
a little confused.  Do we need to concern ourselves with what the peasants
ate if planning a SCA feast?  Are we not all considered to be nobles?  Would
spices, etc. known in the Middle Ages be available to us (in persona)?  Oh,
sorry, badly stated, but hopefully not to be misunderstood...

Beathog