SC - Courtesy vs. Chivalry (Re: OT: Chivalry on the Field vs. Chivalry in the Parlor)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 26 20:52:21 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:
> So when I *say* chivalry and courtesy, I do mean that I am addressing
> *both* concepts, not confusing one for the other.

If I understand Ras' point of view, and am not merging it with my own,
then one doesn't even needs mention chivalry in this context.  Courtesy
and Temperance are valuable in and of themselves and do not need the
"chivalry" rider to give them credence.  for me, when someone accuses me
of discourtesy, that is sufficient to make me stop and consider.  For my
usage, YMMV, calling it unchivalrous makes it more vague, subjective and
difficult to pin to specific behaviors to correct.  If I am giving
inaccurate words to you Ras, I apologize.  My experience has been that
people use the word "unChivalrous" to give 'super special' emphasis to
some behavior or action they personally find disagreeable rather than
saying they find it disagreeable.  Lost its meaning/value to me as a
descriptor over the years.  People were even calling belching at the
table unchivalrous. . . I mean, really.

  Kinda like Blanc Manger, everyone seems to have their own version of
chivalry, and some make no sense compared to the original, whatever you
take as the one true original.  Many seem related and some are way out
in the other part of the world.

niccolo difrancesco