Meats/spices in MA (was Re: SC - I am So Ashamed! (long))

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Oct 27 03:09:44 PDT 2000

>A look over Le Menagiers menus reveals a regularity, if not a superfluity,
>of beef. However, skimming some of the menus in Two 15th c. coookbooks
>doesn't show ANY beef that I recognized!

Hi!

A quick glance at John Stafford's & Earl of Devonshire's feasts shows oxen
and veal. Also, that shopping list from Harl. 4016 lists 14 salted oxen, 2
fresh oxen, and 14 calves.
The resultant feast lists 'Grete Flessh' in the fist course, but doesn't
say what kind -- venison, boar's head, & roasted pigs are listed
separately, though.  But this relates to what you were saying about the
excess animals being eaten (oxen & calves), & the rest being kept as
breeding stock.

BTW, there are many recipes which include beef in the MSS, but they're
outnumbered by pork dishes.

Regards,

Cindy