SC - Planning a German Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Oct 28 11:56:11 PDT 2000

At 7:44 AM -0500 10/28/00, Diana L Skaggs wrote:
>All, I'm formulating a German Feast for next September.

>OK - additions, suggestions, etc.?  Thank you in advance for your help.
>Leanna

My main reaction is that although some of these may be things you can
find period recipes for, almost all of them are things you can find
modern recipes for. So your diners aren't going to learn much about
period German food--they are already familiar with Bratwurst and
sauerbraten and apple strudel, assuming they ever eat in modern
German restaurants. It would be a more interesting feast if you
started by going through some period German cookbooks and tried to
get a feel for what their meals were like--including things that
aren't already familiar.

Two German cookbooks that I know of (Sabin Welserin and Buch von
Guter Speise) are available on the web in English translation; if you
read German there are other cookbooks available untranslated.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/