SC - Watermelon

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Oct 28 19:19:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/28/00 2:43:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
catdeville at mindspring.com writes:

> o.k... if it's in the flori-thingy please just point me there, if not (not
> meaning any disrespect or to challenge you in any way), could you tell me
> where that's documented so that if I serve it at feast I'll be able to back
> it up? <g... says she from the South.>
>
> pretty please!?!
>
> I remain, in service to Meridies,
> Lady Celia des L'archier
>

> From Miriam-Webster:

Main Entry: wa·ter·mel·on
Pronunciation: -"me-l&n
Function: noun
Date: 1615
1 : a large oblong or roundish fruit with a hard green or white rind often
striped or variegated, a sweet watery pink, yellowish, or red pulp, and
usually many seeds
2 : a widely grown African vine (Citrullus lanatus syn. C. vulgaris) of the
gourd family that bears watermelons

Also there is a picture from a French manuscript that clearly shows a cart
filled with watermelons being pulled through the street. Unfortunately, it is
buried in the several hundred disks of info I have gleaned from the web.
Unless others more organized in keeping their information files post it
first, I will try to find something more substantial when I get a chance.
Please be patient.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol