SC - Malaches (FoC 159)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 30 06:52:23 PST 2000

UlfR wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > It seems to call for just flour; probably any reasonably fine, sieved
> > whole-grain flour (at least from some Northern-European grain) would be
> > just fine for flavor, thickening/stabilizing, and accuracy.
>
> Then what is the mele? The note in the end of Curye on Inglyish says
> "meal", and my dictionary says course ground grain: "the usually
> coarsely ground and unbolted seeds of a cereal grass or pulse" to quote
> the online Websters.

Eh heh... I see. I think I was, to some extent, thinking in Middle
English, and spotted nothing unusual enough for it to enter that part of
my brain, or something: it went into The Dead Zone. It comes down to
this: either some kind of meal (possibly the kind of oatmeal groats
today used in some black puddings) is intended, or else the word is a
verb. Apparently there is a manuscript variant which uses the word
medil, which would denote mixing (meddling), but then it also says to do
them together, so perhaps a verb would be considered redundant. Okay, I
think I'd use something like oat or barley meal, coarsely crushed.

> > Well, then you may need to draw a distinction between using leftovers in
> > a second meal, or simply in a second cooking process in the first meal.
>
> > Since you've elected to fry leftovers (rather than serve the original
> > dish as fried slices, which I can't guarantee is a stated option within
> > the recipe corpus),
>
> That was mundane influence, and I at least *intended* to make that
> distinction clear; these days you buy the blood pudding, slice it and
> fry in butter. Conventient way to reheat the leftovers, and 800 ml of
> blood produced far more malaches than I could eat in one sitting. This
> not being the Middle Ages, there was no poor waiting outside my door to
> recieve the leftovers.

Hmmm. All of New York's poor are at the parade for the Yankees right
now... pwwwwwwwbbbwwtttt!!! (Food content: anybody have a recipe for
beanballs? Meat on a [thrown] stick? Balls served on a spit? Or with
spit? All right, I'll stop now...)

No, I'd say you made it pretty clear that it was Par, and not UlfR, who
came up with the idea of frying them. The question is, whether to eat
fried malaches with mash and apple sauce, or with eggs?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com