SC - French knife

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 07:38:06 PST 2000

Thanks for letting me know about age of knives.  This one has a flat handle.
I assummed that it was as old as I said because the woman's kitchen it came
from is 86 and hasn't cooked in years!
Have a good day.
Phillipa
<<
 As for its age, one pretty good indicator is how its handle is made.
 Today a quality knife is recognized by having the hilt made like a
 sandwich, with a flat tang between two similarly-shaped pieces of wood,
 all rivetted together with as many rivets as possible, normally three in
 a good knife. Older chef's knives, however, are likely to have a tubular
 handle like a sword, plugged into a sort of chape or collar at the wide
 end of the blade, with a thin tang running through the tunnel in the
 handle, peened over at the "pommel" end. I have actually seen
 photographs of Escoffier at work with such knives. >>