SC - 2 questions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Oct 2 20:06:57 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Question:
> Was lenten food, that is, the recipes, ever served at non-Lenten times?

I believe so- besides Lent, there were many other fast days on the
liturgical calendar, and the 'Lenten' meals would surely conform to the
moderate fast days (fasting didn't necessarily mean going without any
food- there were many levels, from mere abstentioo from meat, to
skipping animal products, to bread and water, or even just to the
partaking of communion at mass and no more...).

My best suggestion right off hand is to look at Bridget Ann Henisch's
_Fast and Feast_. Lots of good info, and a fine bibliography.

'Lainie