SC - Re: quince paste

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 2 23:23:02 PDT 2000

Vicente replied to me:
> >However, one item I did find and buy was quince paste! Baron Akim had
> >brought a big jar of the homemade version to the last Pennsic War. It
> >was wonderful! I'm still hoping to find fresh quinces in the store this
> >year. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying this packaged quince paste.
> >It says it is pure quince paste, made of just quince and sugar. It is
> >imported from Spain by Amertrade Internacional Foods, Austin, TX 78764.
> >Made by: TRAFRUT CANO, S.L., Malaga (Spain) with telephone and fax
> >numbers given, if anyone wishes email me. The label says "Corazon
> >del Sol"
> >
> >It was $5.49 (US) for 400g/14.1 oz. Somewhat expensive, but from
> >what others have said, so are quinces.
>
> Stefan, you lucky dog.  What you have there is a verifiable, no-foolin food
> of the Gods.  I don't know how you had it at Pennsic, but "dulce de
> membrillo" or quince paste is usually eaten with a soft white cheese
> (mozzarella works wonderfully).  Similar pastes are made of guava and sweet
> potato (dulce de guayaba or dulce de batata, respectively).  My dad, who was
> born in Colombia, goes nuts for dulce de guayaba.

Thanks, I'll try it with the white cheese. I'll have to see if it tastes
better on a well-aged white cheddar or the mozzarella. Seems strange, but
people mentioned apple pie and cheese here a while back. I think I just
had it straight out of the jar at Pennsic.

I think this same store had a few guava items and maybe a guava paste
very similar to the quince paste. Since I was looking more for medieval
type items or at least things I could recognise I didn't pay it much
attention.

They also had some canned dolmas, as did another store we looked in.
I sort of liked the one I tried at Pennsic in the Food Court. I might
buy a can of these dolmas next time. Anyone have any comments on these
or have a brand preferance?

They also had lots and lots of different types of olives but I didn't
spend much time looking there. Maybe next time.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net