SC - Quince paste

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 10:10:27 PDT 2000

Stefan, "up here" is Bright Hills, Atlantia (Baltimore MD).  I am always on
the lookout for berry bushes, fruit trees, wild herbs, wild rice, birds
eggs, the VERY long needle pine trees, nut trees, and even the stray sheep
or goat.  Once I got a stray cow, but was unable to convince the thing to
get into the truck, so I had to halter her and find a farm to lead her to.
I have enjoyed teaching children and adults how to forage, can, dry and
freeze foods and how to make vinegars and teas and polstice.
Quince are a very pretty fruit that is occasionally found in markets.  The
edible peak is really pretty short, like white peaches.  If you get it too
early, well, it makes my mouth hurt to go there.. Quince are usually used in
pastes and jellies.  They do not dry well (that I can figure out) and they
do not freeze well.  They do can well, but as I said, usually as a paste or
some such.  Many old farms had quince trees so they are pretty common to
come across driving country roads.  I do not recall seeing any down your
way, but I didn't stay down that way for long.
Olwen