SC - Making Comfits

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Fri Oct 6 10:23:00 PDT 2000

Hey, all.

I just finished making comfits according to a plan I devised (heavy, heavy
sugar syrup poured sparingly on them, then rolling them in dry sugar,
repeating the process intil they grow in size, then drying them in a
slighl\t;y warm oven), only to find some excellent comfit advice waiting for
me in my mail box. The newest Compleat Anachronist (Elise Flemming and Cindy
Renfrew) shows some recipes, the first of which is almost exactly how I made
mine.

I recall someone else making comfits and sharing their process (involved a
marble slab), and I think it was the hugh plat recipe. Adamantius, maybe?
Anybody remember?

At any rate, I found that I *could* mingle them with my hand quite
successfully, if the syrup cooled a slight bit, the ladle was small-ish, the
syrup was poured sparingly, and was poured from a great height as the recipe
advises. But my comfits are fairly "rough" and uneven in size. I'm going to
make more tonight or tomorrow, and try the colored varieties.

Any one else with comfit making experience that could share? It's too late
for my feast, but it's never too late to learn.

Aoife---suddenly fascinated with a subject she's managed to ignore till now.