SC - mead and meat pies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 9 21:28:57 PDT 2000

Jesse asked:
> I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but I was
> wondering
> how to make mead and require assistance. I want to make the mead for my
> girlfriend's birthday, in December, and figure that it needs time to
> ferment, but that's about as far as I get.

Actually, you are cutting it a little close for most meads if you want
it available in December.

Check these files in the BEVERAGES section of my Florilegium files:
mead-msg         (168K)  7/ 3/00    Making mead. Honey based alcoholic beverage.
meadery-list-msg  (20K) 11/18/98    Lists and reviews of commercial meaderies.

If you are new to brewing, this file might also be of interest:
brewing-msg       (60K)  7/25/00    General brewing info and sources.

> I'm also looking for period meat pie recipies. Was there duck meat pie?

Check these files in the FOOD section:
meat-pies-msg     (97K)  4/12/00    Period meat pies. Recipes.
pies-msg          (51K)  7/31/00    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.

I imagine there were duck meat pies. We were just recently discussing a
fish pie. However, I can't remember if I have any recipes specifically
for duck meat pies in these files or not.

You might also find some of the info/recipes in this file useful if you
are trying to figure out what to do with a duck:
duck-goose-msg    (20K)  9/14/00    Cooking duck and goose. Recipes.

Duck does tend to be greasy though. You may have to take some precautions
to keep your duck meat pies from getting too soggy.

> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I hope this helps get you started.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net