SC - HERE IS THE GLOSSARY FROM CURYE ON INGLYSCH = A =

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 10:27:36 PDT 2000

I have just completed copying out some parts from  the glossary of _Curye on
Inglysch_.  I am gladly sharing this info with other would-be translators or
medieval recipes.
Phillipa

= A ==
ABATEN      diminish
ABRODE      broadly
ACORDE      blend
ADOUN       down (off the fire)
AFTERE      after "þat in proportion to what"
AFTERMELK   Milk made with ground nuts which have been strained from a first
            milk.
A EIN       in
A EYN       again
AH          but
AYMERS      embers
AYREN       eggs
AYSELL (eysel)  vinegar - usually cider vinegar
AL          all (þat until)
ALEGUR      malt vinegar
ALICH       alike
ALKENET     Red dye made from the root of a plant so named; a member of the
            bugloss family.
ALKYN       all kinds..... various
ALMAYNE     Germany
ALMA(U)ND       almond
ALOES       stuffed meat rolls, resembling "veal birds"
ALOH            although ?
ALS         as
AMYDON      wheat starch (used to thicken sauces)
ANGEYLLES / ANGOYLES    eels
AN(NE)YS        anise   aniseed
ANOON       at once; in due course
APPYL / APLYN / APPLYS     (APPLEEN pl)         apple
AQUA ARDAUNT / ARDENTE      spirits. brandy, aqua vite
AQUAPATYS   garlic boiled in oil and water
ARAY            dress, cook
ASAY            test
ASKES       ashes
ASTER       Easter
ATYRE       dress; prepare
ATTE            at
AUANCE      avens, an herb
AVEIR de POIS   avoirdupois in early sense of merchandise (groceries)
AXIT            requires (as is necessary)