cook's cote (was Re: SC - test- don't read)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Oct 11 04:04:20 PDT 2000

TG wrote:

> << "... vnd sollen fein weisse saubere Ha:embder/ auch nicht schmutzige/
> rotzige vnd beschmirige/ sondern fein reine/ hu:ebsche/ saubere/ kurtze/
> nicht weitte/ zodende/ hangende vnd lumpende/ sondern wolgemachte enge
> Kleider/ an Hosen vnd Wammes/ antragen" (Rumpolt)
>
> Are there more interesting details in that quote? >>
>
> Not really, the rest is only a somewhat verbose statement that a cook
> should wear clean and tight or clinging clothes.
>
> Thomas

Probably the illustrations accompanying Rumpolt's text are almost as
effective in describing what a cook should wear. Apart from an obvious
emphasis on cleanliness (either out of a need for confidence in the
cook's hygiene, a sanitary kitchen, etc.), there's an equally important
stress on comfort, functionality, and _fire safety_. All of which are
also modern concerns for the people who design clothes for cooks.

Now if we could only do something about the new paisley pants...

Adamantius, partisan of the tiny B&W houndstooth check, not asking for
trouble like the white pants wearers, effete like the black pants
wearers, nor just plain tacky and lacking in tradition, like the paisley wearers
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com