SC - OOP/Long-King Arthur Faire

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Sun Oct 15 20:07:08 PDT 2000

So, didya all think Leanna deserted you?  No, she's been doing her first
food booth at a ren faire.  What do I think?  Well, here's how it went:

Friday the 13th: supposed to be "school field trip" day. We were told the
children were bringing sack lunches, so we took cookies (peanut butter,
chocolate chip, and oatmeal-raisin) with plans to cook wafers on site. I
thought the kids would like a taste of old England.  We had to cart water
in, and I thought a more homemade lemonade would be nice. Well, imagine
1000, running, screaming, whiny and demanding kids from about 10 to
15-years-old. They didn't like the lemonade, it didn't taste like Koolaid.
The cookies were too small (I was only charging $.25 each, they were kids,
you know). No one wanted the small size drinks. The offer of meat or
mushroom pies was greeted with "EEEUUUWWW." Every child seemed to proffer a
$10 or $20 dollar bill for a $.25 cent cookie.  We were out of change in 15
minutes and had to send for more.  Upset several adults because we weren't
serving sandwiches and the lines were too long or we couldn't make change.
We ran through 6 dozen cookies, no time to make wafers, 12 gallons of
water, 6 of it in lemonade, 6 gallons of plain or iced water. All in the
space of 2 1/2 hours.  We were unprepared for the onslaught.  I needed
Valium and a long nights sleep to recover, neither of which I got. Also
found out another vendor was there to sell turkey legs and
sausage-on-a-stick.  I was told I would be the only vendor of those items.
Well, said fellow had a smoker the size of a train locomotive and a
refrigerated truck the size of my kitchen.  "Geez," I said to myself, "how
can I compete with THAT?" So, drop to plan B.
Left site at 2:30 pm.  Went to Sam's in OKC.  Decided we'd make barbeque
beef (yes, I know it's not period, but it's a ren faire), also had pickles,
cob corn (again, ren faire food) and more cookies for the menu.  Had to buy
buns, no time to bake bread, etc, etc, etc. Finally got home, unloaded,
threw garb into washer, decided to mix up cookie dough and bake in am.
Forgot and left most cookie supplies at site.  Sent friend on store errand
to buy more cookie supplies. Friend got back too late to make cookie dough.
I had fallen asleep in chair.  Too tired to make cookies, so decided to
make them in am. Set alarm for 5:15 am. Dropped dead from exhaustion.
Saturday the 14th: Up at 5:15 am (OK so I hit the snooze a couple of
times). A girlfriend who volunteered to help early morning baking knocked
on the door at 5:30 am.  Why was she suprised I was not dressed?  Couldn't
make coffee, the maker was at site.  Started cookie dough, no vanilla, darn
it.  Forget cookies.  Get packed up.  Race to the site.  Got there early
enough to get organized.  Made several people happy cause I made myself
some coffee.  Did you know some people can smell brewing coffee a mile
away?  There were coffee vultures at my booth before the maker was finished
dripping.  Sold all the first batch of coffee.  Didn't get a cup myself
until the third pot was brewed.  I did make wafers.  Wonderful draw.  Made
outside, with anise seed, the aroma wafts on the breeze.  First question
from many, "What's that wonderful smell?"  Made and sold over 6 dozen.
Several people tried barbecue from me and the other vendor.  All who
commented said mine was better! (The secret's in the sauce! <Leanna
grinning>) We were rained out by 3 pm, warned by faire director that local
roads quickly mired down vehicles silly enough to wait too long to leave).
Many folks asked about the meat pies on the menu,  had to say, "we'll have
some on Sunday. Home again, I almost couldn't get my shoes off because my
feet swelled.  Hurts like hell to walk. Called 3 friends trying to find
someone to help cook. Finally called boyfriend (sort of).  He wouldn't let
me stay in the kitchen.  He ordered me to my recliner to get my feet up and
he would do the pies.  "Sure," I thought.  But, for once, he listened to
each instruction carefully.  And actually followed them. The only major
glitch was kitchen wench didn't put the shredded mozzarella in the
refrigerator.  Do you know what happens when mozzarella sits on the cabinet
all day?  Well, it's not pretty.  Threw moz into the freezer to chill and
used shredded cheddar on the mushroom pies. By the time the mushroom pies
were baked and the sausage meat pies were ready for cheese, the mozz would
again hold it's shape for shredding.  Mixed up cookie dough for am baking.
Was in bed as soon as meat pies were baked.  Boyfriend massaged feet, legs
and back.  Fell asleep before..well.. nuf said.
Sunday 15th.  Cousin Mary came in before 6 am.  Already had oven on,
cookies baking, and coffee dripping.  Baked cookies until 8 am, took much
too long.  Late to site, but who cared?  We barely got settled in when it
started raining! Rain collected in plastic top to booth.  Young couple
helping decided the heavy duty plastic would eventually rip, so tried to
chase the water off the plastic over the edge.  They used a stick, can you
guess the rest? Yes, they put a big hole in the plastic and created a
waterfall.  Quickly, a walmart bag was wadded up and plugged the hole.
Thankfully, I remembered there was leftover plastic sheeting in the truck.
Sent help to get same.  They got drenched (evil grin).  We only sold about
4 dozen wafers and maybe 3 dozen of chocolate chip and peanut butter we
sweated over at 6 am.  Thankfully we sold every meat pie and mushroom pie
we baked.  On a whim, I whipped up a batch of brats and kraut and put it in
my extra-large slow cooker.  Sold every one, and a bunch of hotdogs, too.
Many parents were happy we offered hot dogs for the kids.  I don't know how
many cookies I gave away today. Darn it!  The kids found out I'm just a
softy for those big, sad eyes...
Anyway, I had a lot of fun using my Scots accent and teasing my wenches.
I'm going to see if my friend will scan in a picture my son took of me, my
cousin Mary and my serving wench, Corinna.  We made over $25 in tips alone
from our banter and her flirting with the custom.  Corinna was wearing a
white linen underdress with a faux red satin skirt.  I don't suppose the
fact she was drenched had anything to do with the tips....
Sorry this is far too long.  I'm going to get the bath & to bed.  I can
walk comfortably tonight, although I'm exhausted.  Now, for making it to
the "real" job tomorrow.  Need to plan on how to win another skirmish
against my competition.  I overheard him talking to someone about me being
an amateur. I think he was just jealous because my serving wench was
prettier than his pre-teen, chubby daughter.  "Ha," she says. "I will
prevail!" Leanna