SC - Re: cider

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 14:55:26 PDT 2000

- --- Vincent Cuenca <bootkiller at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Does anyone on this list happen to know whether
> Italians drank cider in
> >period?
>
> Italians I don't know about.  Hard-cider production
> in the Asturias and
> Cantabria regions of Spain, IIRC, goes back to the
> Roman era, and cider is
> still a popular beverage in northern Spain.

I seem to recall that the first "cider house" in
England was established in fairly late period, but,
again, this is a fair bit distant from Italy.  Perhaps
someone could enlighten us as to whether apples were
prevailant in Italy during period, and from there we
could conduct a little research.  My uneducated guess
would be that wine would have been preferred over
cider, perhaps to such an extent that it's commercial
production would have been very limited.  This is, of
course, only a guess.

Balthazar of Blackmoor