SC - munchies or side dish

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 16 17:42:42 PDT 2000

> The local shire is planning to have hamburgers and such at a fighter
> practice and invite a number of new people who've shown interest in the
SCA.
>   Talking them into period food is not an option.  They did say it would
be
> good to have something small that people could try.  Any ideas?

I'm with Olwen and Bear on this one... in my experience small meat pasties,
which are similar enough to modern 'pot pies' to not throw anyone is a very
good way to introduce folks to period food who otherwise wouldn't think of
it.  little vegetable pasties would also be good, as would little miniture
quiches, small tarts with medieval fillings (i'm sure there's a bevy of
recipes which would fit this in the miscellany and the flori-thingy) and
small fines cakes.  Of course fruit and cheese are also a possibility and
you might also make some "field bread" (I'm not sure what the medieval name
for this is, or if it's actually period?  but it was popular in our days as
a field food... it's essentially a bread filled with dried fruit and nuts
so that it's very filling.)

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier