SC - Jerkies

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Mon Oct 16 22:08:02 PDT 2000

Serian wrote:

> To dry jerky, there's the sun of course, and there's a
> microwave thingy you can buy for not that much $.  Don't
> know how well that works.  If you can get an oven to about
> 145 I think that's the usual meat setting - at least on
> mine.

I read that 120 F was best for drying fruit and meat, which happens to
be my oven's lowest temperature. I turn the knob until I hear the
audible click of the thermostat, which happens before it reaches the '1'
mark on the knob. With the door closed, it will reach and maintain that
temperature. If the oven has a fan, or you can rig one, even better: the
air flow aids the evaporation of water (hence, the better commercially
made dehydrators also have fans)

> Mild flavorings (period too) vinegar or lemon juice and
> ginger and salt.

I tried a preservative solution from Apicius with vinegar, salt,
mustard, and honey, but proportions are not included, so I have been
experimenting.

Seumas

- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.