SC - munchies or side dish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 16 22:14:42 PDT 2000

Maddalena said:
> The local shire is planning to have hamburgers and such at a fighter
> practice and invite a number of new people who've shown interest in the SCA.
>   Talking them into period food is not an option.  They did say it would be
> good to have something small that people could try.  Any ideas?

Let's see.
1) If you have electricity (or maybe a Sterno pot), Cheese Goo. Savory
Tosted Cheese from Digby.
cheese-msg       (144K)  7/27/00    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

Would probably make a great hamburger topping.

2) As mentioned by Bear - his Jumbles recipe. Very nice little cookies.
I think the recipe may be in there. There are other possiblities also.
cookies-msg       (57K)  1/12/00    Period cookies. Recipes.

3) Pretzels. I'm not sure I would do this on short notice though since
I'm not sure we have any collective knowledge on how well this works.
But a possibity for the future.
pretzels-msg      (25K)  9/27/00    Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

4) Gingerbread. I'd make these as small balls since they would be easy
to handout and eat that way.
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

5) Sausage on a stick.
sausages-msg      (96K)  6/ 8/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daneil le Vascon du Navarre
mustard-msg       (83K)  7/11/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.

You do need some time to age the mustard, if Bear's comments from his
recent feast hold true for all mustards.

6) Wafers. If you have access to a pizzel iron, these are fairly easy to
make (at least the sweet ones. I've not had a savory one work yet) and
can be made ahead of time.

7) Meat pies as others have mentioned. Maybe fruit pies.
meat-pies-msg     (97K)  4/12/00    Period meat pies. Recipes.
pies-msg          (51K)  7/31/00    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
fruit-pies-msg    (32K)  9/ 1/00    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.

8) A jalab type beverage.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
  (I don't think I'd offer kumiss. :-) )
- --