SC - guava and the Lucayos

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Tue Oct 17 09:15:14 PDT 2000

>I'll try to check my copy of the Lucayos tonight after I return home and
>we can compare tomorrow.

Well, I checked through the cookbook and guava doesn't appear.
It occurs to be that no many people have even heard of this
book. I received a photocopy of the pages from my laurel
who didn't know anything about it other than someone had
sent her this copy.

According to the information on the photocopy, the book is
purportedly a 300-year-old manuscript brought along to the
Bahamas along with the earliest settlers. Many of the recipes
in the book are written in terms of things to preserve. The
photocopy has the early date of 1660 but it claims to be
much older. The Editor listed on the reprint is "Borden Clarke"
and the publisher, from what I can tell, is "Old Author Farms".

Anyone ever heard of it besides me? Can anyone confirm the
veracity of the book itself? It's got the etymological tone of
a near-period cookbook, to be certain, but I can't find any
history on the book at all, even online.

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at ptc.com or iasmin at home.com