SC - fighter practices

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 18 00:08:01 PDT 2000

> jenne at mail.browser.net writes:
> > Can I ask a stupid question: why is it so offensive that at a gathering
> >  where people are not expected to wear period clothing, period food might
> >  not be the only thing served?>>
>
> Where did it say in the previous post that period clothing was not expected?
> We always dress in garb or recommend that people where garb for our fighter
> 'practices since fighter practices are official SCA gatherings and come under
> the auspices of Corpora.
>
> Ras

Actually, there seems to be quite a variance across the Known World
whether garb is worn at fighter practices or not. Even within my own
barony it has varied. When our main fighter practice was on Sunday
afternoons it was common to wear garb. When the Tuesday evening
fighter practice became the only one, wearing garb generally stopped
being done. Probably because many folks came straight from work. Now
that we are starting up Sunday fighter practices again, the espectation
is that garb will be worn.

For more on fighter practices, and I think this detail, check this file
in the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section of my files:
fight-prac-msg    (14K)  1/22/96    SCA fighter practices.

SCA Sociology can be an interesting study. See more files in the
SCA-SOCIOLOGY and SCA-STORIES sections of my files.

Inside fighter practices? How wierd. :-)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net