SC - Medieval Greece

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Wed Oct 18 11:45:01 PDT 2000

<< I have been looking all over the internet for info on what life was
like in the Greek middle ages--food,clothing, occupations, daily life,
etc--for a book I'm writing, but I haven't found anything. >>

I fear, then you will have to go the _traditional_ way and look for
books and articles ;-)

Here are some candidates, that might help:

Paviot, J.: Cuisine grecque et cuisine turque selon l'expérience des
voyageurs (XVe-XVIe siècles). In: Bryer, A./ Ursinus, M. (eds.):
Manzikert to Lepanto. The Byzantine World and the Turks 1071-1571.
Amsterdam 1991 (Byzantinische Forschungen 16).

You might want to look for some of the works of Martin Crusius,
Professor in Tuebingen around 1600, who was (one of) the first to do
studies of the culture and language of the newer Greece: the first
philhellenist of his time. (But you need to know at least three
languages: Latin, Greek, and German.)

Databases like copac.ac.uk point to titles worth checking, e.g.:

TI- Medieval Peloponnesian bibliography for the period until the Turkish
Conquest of the 15th century (A.D. 396-1460) = Mesaionike Peloponnesiake
vivliographia gia ten periodo mechri ten Tourkike kataktese tou 15ou
aiona (396-1460 m. Ch.)
AU- Savvides Alexes G. K.
SE- Mikre myriovivlos ; 7
PU- Athena : Vivliopoleio ton vivliophilon
PY- 1990
PD- 64p ; 17cm
LA- Greek, Modern [1453-]
IS- 9602620064
NT- Includes summary in Greek
    Mesaionike Peloponnesiake vivliographia gia ten periodo mechri ten
    Tourkike kataktese tou 15ou aiona (396-1460 m. Ch.)
KW- Peloponnesus (Greece) - History - Medieval period - Bibliography
KW- Greece - History - 323-1453 - Bibliography
HL- Birmingham ; Cambridge ; SAS

TI- Travellers to Greece and Constantinople : ancient monuments and old
    traditions in medieval travellers' tales
AU- Vin J. P. A. van der
AU- Nederlands Historisch-Archaeologisch Instituut in het Nabije Oosten
SE- Uitgaven van het Nederlands Historisch-Archaeologisch Institut te
    Istanbul ; 49
PU- Istanbul : Nederlands Historisch-Archaeologisch Instituut te
Istanbul
PY- 1980
PD- 2v, ix, 751 p., [8] p. of plates : ill ; 27 cm, pbk. : set
LA- English, French , German
IS- 9062580491
NT- Texts in English and French
KW- Istanbul (Turkey) - Description and travel, Early works to 1800
KW- Greece - Description and travel, Early works to 1800
KW- Greece - Antiquities, Early works to 1800
KW- Tales, Medieval
HL- Cambridge ; Edinburgh ; Manchester ; SAS

There seems to be more literature on food and cookery in classical
antiquity.

Th.