SC - rosettes? pizelli?

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Wed Oct 18 14:37:55 PDT 2000

Huette wrote:

> As for period looking rosette irons, the basic six
> petalled rosette iron is stylistically within period,
> but whether it was used for rosettes, I don't know.
> I also have several cup irons that make tart shells
> using the rosette recipe.  I have always thought that
> this could be a period concept.
The last time I looked in a kitchen store all I found were card suits and
butterflies. Not at all what I wanted. I'll try looking on line, since this
might be fun to do for the holidays. A six-petalled rosette would fine.

I have only found one picture of what might be period rosette irons, but the
book doesn't cite a date, so I'm not sure. In Kunstgeschichte des Backwerks,
page 28, there is a photo of three irons. They all have wooden handles and
the iron parts are formed from strips of metal. One is simple in a spiral,
one is like six spokes that have a curl on the end, and the an abstraxt
design with wavy lines. Yea, I know that last description stinks but I'm not
sure how to describe it.

Anyone ever seen rosettes in a period painting?

Valoise