kids in kitchen, was: SC - Worst feast ever...

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 18 18:18:34 PDT 2000

>Hmmm... its more a matter of people dropping by the kitchen several times a
>day and volunteering their children for duty.  The kids don't want to be
>there, the parents don't know what to do with their kids, and just assume
>that the kitchen is a good place for the kids to "learn what the
>SCA/service/etc is about" - a valuable lesson, but one the parents should
>have primary responsibility for teaching, not I.

My rules: Kids up to and including 10 yrs old may only help with whatever
their adult is doing. Their adult is the one directly supervising them.  If
their adult ends up socializing, and won't adjust their behaviour on
request, goodbye to both of them.
Same rule applies to serving feast with the additional rule of 'must be in
kindergarten'.  I learned not to say 'school' because of the number of
people who think daycare is school and therefore their 4 yr old could pour
from pitchers because he goes to Montesori.  Sorry, no. Oops at school are
one thing, Oops at feast are too much of a hassle.

I don't feel that proclaiming this rule is blowing smoke and etc. as stated
by someone earlier.  My kitchen, my rules. IMO, the feast cook shooing away
a 14 yr old was being overly cautious, but I don't know their experiences so
I'll just say that they have the right, as cook, to set such a rule.

Bonne