SC - munchies or side dish

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Wed Oct 18 20:38:39 PDT 2000

At 08:28 PM 10/16/00 GMT, you wrote:
>The local shire is planning to have hamburgers and such at a fighter
>practice and invite a number of new people who've shown interest in the SCA.
>  Talking them into period food is not an option.  They did say it would be
>good to have something small that people could try.  Any ideas?
>Maddalena

I had really good response to my "pies" at the ren faire.  I've sold out of
them every day.  They're really little quiches.  Walmart sells mini frozen
pie shells. All I do is separate the pie shells and put them on a cookie
sheet.
For sausage pies, I brown a pound of bulk sausage and add half of an onion,
finely chopped.  When the sausage is cooked and the onion is clear, I drain
off any fat and spoon a little into each pie shell.  I topped each pie with
1 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella cheese, then made an egg batter of 3
eggs beaten, 2 cups half and half, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground
black pepper. I poured enough batter into each pie to come up to the rim.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about thirty minutes or until the top is
beginning to brown.

For mushroom, saute 1 pound of sliced mushrooms and half of a large onion
chopped until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is clear.  Fill the
pie shells, top with shredded cheese and egg batter as above.

This weekend, I'm trying chicken & leek.  I plan to poach chicken breasts
in a little butter and chicken stock.  Clean and dice leeks and saute in
butter.  Then, I'll mix the two together, add cheese and egg batter.
I made 16 mini-pies from each recipe.  The shells come 8 to a package. Leanna