SC - King Midas :The Feast Recipes from U Penn

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 12:59:54 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/19/00 9:22:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:

> Not to nit pick.. but I'm pretty sure there was no cayenne or traces of it
> in
> King Midas' tomb, as it's a new world pepper.
>
> Corwyn

Okay, I'll give on that one, because I myself am not sure. I do know the
archeologist said that the cooks and chemist who were hired to do the feast
were told to find the closest regional approximation for the area of where
the feast originated. I'm not sure what the closest approximation of Cayenne
would be to the regional area of King Midas. I do know the guy told me that
the cooks had actually gone out and gathered their spices as wild as they
could, and had the base structure analyzed to see how far off it was in
genetic makeup from the ingredients in the tomb. Could there have been a
relative spice of Cayenne that no longer grows, or is close enough in genetic
structure, that grew in the region?

Lars