SC - niccolo's RED MUSTARD

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Oct 20 08:52:59 PDT 2000

Letting this sit and mellow is the best, and this is GREAT mustard.  Were
you not paying attention to Bear's notes about the Protectorate Feast
where he said he wished he had let his mustard mellow, and Gunther's
comments back saying "TOLD YOU SO!"?  Learn from the mistakes of others,
it is the best way, believe me!
Good luck with the cameline, or if you want a good mustard sauce, try
Barque Robert, it is yummy and ready when you make it.
Christianna

Barbe Robert ( Sauce )
( A 1583 cookbook quoted by Pichon et  al, p. 109 )

Take small onions fried in lard ( or butter according to the day ),
verjuice, vinegar, mustard, small spices and salt. Boil everything
together.

I did this with a dijon style mustard, and used chopped scallions for the
onions, which provided green chunks for visual interest.  You may not
want that.  I usually make this in a small frying pan, and don't exactly
boil it so much as just let it simmer to reduce.  I have used white wine
when no verjuice was handy, along with the vinegar, as well.  There are
several different versions of this recipe, and they are quick to make.
Have fun!

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:06:42 EDT Seton1355 at aol.com writes:
> Thank you.  This is good information to know, but, unfortunately, I
> need the
> sauce for Sunday.  Oh well.... live and learn... On to the CAmeline
> sauce.
> Phillipa
>
> <<
>  aging this for 4 to 6 weeks will ease this a lt.  also, Brown
> Mustard seed
> instead of yellow will mellow it.  It is a strong mustard, no doubt.
>  It does
> mellow significantly over time.
>
>  niccolo difrancesco >>

> SCA-Cooks".