SC - Pumpkins and such...

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 20 19:58:50 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/20/00 2:39:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> Everyone points to these tiny unripe green gourds as the period pompions,
>  but I still wonder about Strabo's bushel-basket size pompions.

I tend to agree with you. As I pointed out in an earlier post many of these
gourds are still being grown. I see no basis to suppose a Far Eastern fruit
as a probable candidate for pompions when we have many candidates to choose
from closer to home. These are still available if you wish to grow them from
seeds.

I still think (but have nothing to back it with) that the word 'pompion' was
not referring to the fruit but rather to the similarity in growth habits and
culture as well as leaf shape. Although new world 'pumpkins do have yellow
blossoms, every other aspect of the plant resembles gourds (pompions ) in
every way. Even the white flowers have the same appearance as new world
squashes except for color.

Why ii it assumed that the word 'pompion' was transferred to new world plants
on the basis of fruit appearance? Is there any real evidence other than
supposition that this was the case?

Thanks in advance.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol