SC - grey salt

Scholast Michel Scholast at bookwyrm.com
Sat Oct 21 02:00:22 PDT 2000

On 20 Oct 2000, at 16:56, James F. Johnson wrote:
> Nisha Martin wrote:
> > Where do you find this type of salt? I have heard of
> > grey salt for years, and never seen it. Is it much
> > more expensive than sea salt?
>
> I've never seen it that I recall. Just read about it. The grey salt I
> mentioned comes from Brittany, so it would have to be exported. I'm not
> sure who else makes a grey salt. If I find some, I'll post the source.

Francesco Sirene, spicer

http://www.silk.net/sirene/spices.htm

Item 0430 BLACK SALT - lumps
    From India, this has a stronger flavour than ordinary salt. Black
salt might be just the thing for the 'lower tables' at a feast, to show
their reduced status by contrast with the pure white salt served in
the Great Salt at the head table. Powder the lumps in your mortar.
                                   25 g           .40
                                   500 g          7.20
All prices in Canadian funds