SC - Herb blends for soft cheeses--a question

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 22:49:28 PDT 2000

>From: Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net>
>To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
>Subject: Re: SC - Herb blends for soft cheeses--a question
>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:29:04 -0700
>
> > olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:
> >
> > << I'm drawing a pretty good blank, though, in coming up with some
>pleasant
> > (period) herb blends. >>

> > orange zest
> > garlic, a dash of season salt
> > "Pesto" type, with basil and garlic, maybe chopped nuts too
> > "Scarborough herbs" parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
> > glop in some curry powder
> > whizz frozen berries and cheese >>
> >
> > Documentation, please?
> >
> > Ras

>From my 'celtic' feast last spring, this would be documentation for Ireland,
IIRC.  I'm pretty sure it was for fresh cheese with greenery/herbs, it might
be curds. What I served was fresh, pressed but not aged cheese with chopped
herbs mixed in.

Samit Cheese (Fresh Cheese w/herbs)
Source: Land of Milk and Honey: The Story of Traditional Irish Food and
Drink, Brid Mahon,  Poolbeg Press, Dublin, 1991 :  pp. 4 (archeological
evidence) 55(goat cheese), 91-2 (list of cheese types and names), 109
follow up: Aisling Meic Con Glinne--The Vision of Mac Conglinne, Kuno Meyer
(trans) London, 1892, 5-113

I don't know what the refernce on pg 109 is, sorry.  The follow up is a poem
of a legendary host and the food in his lands, I have not gone back to it,
but evidently learned from somewhere that cheese and or herbs are mentioned.

I don't know if I ever posted my cleaned up menu and references for this,
moving day was bearing down.  If I did, I'm sure Stefan would have filed it
away under Celtic food. If I didn't, Stefan let me know and I'll send it
directly to you.  I recall trying to post another set of my notes and lot's
of people had format troubles.

Bonne