SC - Boars head songs and menus

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Oct 23 08:22:56 PDT 2000

Ok, here is what I have so far, separating the food from the lyrics.
There are several things that I'm not sure of here, though.

The Boar's head is served with gay garlands, sometimes of rosmary.
Service also includes the fact that it comes first, at the beginning of
the mete (mete = meat? or meal?) . It is also the 'chef' service (chief?
or chef?), and served with mustard.  Lots of mustard.

A second course comes in, consisting of herons and cranes, with bitterers
on the side.  Bitter herbs?  Also in the fowl course are partridges,
plovers, woodcocks and snits. (And hay.)
Larks in hot schow, evidently for ladies to pick at.  (hot schow = served
hot? or in some kind of hot sauce?)

 Furmante to pottage, with venisun fin - various cooked grains, or even
meat 'stews' - pottage having many interpretations; including frumenty
with venison

 And the hombuls of the dove, and all that ever comes in - dove gizzards
and livers?  Maybe something like Garbage pie?

Capons ibake, with the peses of the row,
Reisons of corrans, with oder spises mo. - Baked capon, with peas,
raisons of Corinth, and spices.  All baked in one dish?

Gud bred

Drinks included:
Bluet of almain, romnay and win, ale

Say, here's something from Phillipa's Glossary:
COLD BREWET Cream of almonds, dried, mixed with mild seasonings, fennel
juice and wine.   Or thick almond milk made with wine or vinegar
mixed with anise, sugar and green fennel. And spiced as a sauce for
boiled meat or fowl.
	This would make an interesting beverage for a Christmas Feast, hmmm...
Christianna