SC - My First Feast as Head Cook

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 24 15:17:19 PDT 2000

At 6:29 PM -0700 10/3/00, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>I'm now planning the feast for The Boar's Hunt on December 9th,
>which will be my first as chief cook.

I'm well behind on the list, so I hope this is still of some use to you.

>_Beaconsgate 15th Annual Boar Hunt and Feast, presented by the
>Province of the Mists_

_First Course_

>Root vegetables (baked seasoned carrots and parsnips?)

If you are willing to do a soup, there are two recipes in the
_Miscellany_: Platina's Potage with Turnips, and Rapes in Potage,
which can also be done with carrots or parsnips, from Curye on
Inglysch.

>Lumbard Custard (trad.) - please help, i don't have a recipe for
>this - what cookbook is it in?

_Two 15th Century Cookery Books_ or Cindy Renfrew's _Take a Thousand
Eggs_ (Harleian Ms. 4016, originally). We've never tried it, but here
is the original:

  Custard lumbarde.  Take good creme, and yolkes And white of egges,
and breke hem thereto, and streyne hem all thorgh a straynour till
hit be so thik that it woll bere him self; And take faire Mary, And
Dates, cutte in ij. or iij. and prunes, and put hem in faire coffyns
of paast; And then put the coffyn in an oven, And lete hem bake till
thei be hard, And then drawe hem oute, and putte the licoure into the
Coffyns, and put hem into the oven ayen, And lete hem bake till they
be ynogh, but cast sugur and salt in thi licour whan ye putte hit
into the coffyns; And if hit be in lenton, take creme of Almondes,
And leve the egges And the Mary. [thorns replaced by th]

>_Second Course_
>Roast Pork Loin (trad.) (1/2 lb. boned uncooked per person)

I think Bear already reccomended Cormarye, from Curye on Inglysch,
which recommendation I second; Bourbelier of Wild Pig, from Menagier
de Paris, is also good. Recipes for both in the Miscellany.

>Cooked Worts (trad.)

We have a whole bunch of recipes for this in the Miscellany under
vegetables, including Lange Wortys de Chare (with meat) or Longe
Wortes de Pesone (vegetarian) and various others.

>Grain dish, "cheap and filling"  - Last year's barley pottage was
>horrible and nobody ate it. I'm thinking Frumenty with cracked
>wheat. Any other suggestions?

Ryse of Fische Daye (rice, almond milk, a little sugar, garnished
with fried almonds) or one of the pasta dishes. Or just go with bread.

>_Dessert_
>Boar's Head (trad.) - subtletie of gingerbread or fruit cake (will
>be done by someone else)

If you want the real thing, Master Chiquart (Du Fait de Cuisine,
1420) goes into great detail on how to prepare and serve it,
breathing fire. My translation is on Cariadoc's webpage and Terrance
Scully has a published version.

>Cooked Fruit - i'm thinking quinces, maybe, if they aren't too
>expensive, or maybe something of dried fruit, or pears in red wine -
>any suggestions?

A couple of people suggested pears cored and filled with sugar in
pastry; the period recipes call for pears or quinces or in one case
apples. We have Chiquart's version, as Quinces in Pastry, in the
Miscellany; the quince-or-warden-pear version is in Two 15th Century
Cookery Books and the apple version is in A Proper Newe Book of
Cookery (I think). For a different sort of fruit pie, I'm very fond
of A Flaune of Almayne (ground-up pears or apples and rasins, cream,
butter, breadcrumbs, ginger, cinnamon, in pie crust).

Good luck; any more questions, just ask.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law