SC - Chivalry-OT-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 24 19:10:50 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/24/00 4:15:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nishamartin at yahoo.com writes:

> I for one am not thrilled watching people act in a non chivalrous manner.

Although I agree with your basic concept, chivalry cannot be equated with
'niceness' as it is by a large number of people both in and out of the SCA.
Chivalry is a set of rules set up for use in combat situations. Where the
idea that it means "lets all play nice and be inoffensive" is anybody's
guess. The original meaning is "martial valor or knightly skill." It is
derived from the 'chevalier ' knights who were "gentlemen trained in arms and
horsemanship or mounted soldiers. The current definition of chivalrous as
'nice' is at the most a Victorian concept based on the 19th century Arthurian
cycle.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol