SC - Buch von guter Speise: new edition with English translation

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Oct 24 18:50:36 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 25 Oct 00, , that TG wrote:

> << I was annoyed when I read those insulting remarks.  Even if she is
> correct about the errors, she could have said something more courteous,
> such as: "Although these previous translations are flawed, we are
> nevertheless indebted to them for introducing this classic text to
> countless readers around the world." >> (Lady Brighid)
>
> Lady Brighid, there is no question here about some errors in a
> translation now and then. Obviously, every edition and translation will
> contain some errors. Yours (to which I am very much looking forward)
> will contain some, mine does contain some errors.

Of that I am quite certain.  Even after proofreading and corrections I
know my translation will have errors.  (I found one just yesterday.)
That's inevitable in any text, especially one produced by someone
who is not an expert in the field.  And I am and will be grateful to
those who point out those errors and help me improve my work.

> That is not the problem and not a reason to be biased.

For me, the problem is that she went beyond pointing out errors.
Saying that the online version spreads "false information" is more
than criticism; it's an attack.  The impression I got is that she felt it
would have been better if the earlier translations had never been
published.

In addition to that opinion, I have an emotional bias.  I know how
much work, frustration, joy, and mental sweat goes into a major
translation, and I can't help but think about how I would feel if
someone made comments like that about my own project.

> However, I see that my quote produced some discomfort. I am sorry about
> that. I do not want you to feel discomfortable.

Thomas, whatever discomfort I am feeling has nothing to do with
*you*, and I am sorry if you got that impression from my message.
It was certainly appropriate for you to quote what the translator said.

> Thus, I would like to
> cancel my previous quote and say:
>
> "The new English translation of the Buch von guter Speise differs
> considerably from the one previously published on the web, and I should
> like to hear your opinions about the two translations of the Middle High
> German text".

I certainly look forward to hearing the opinions of those who are
knowledgeable about this matter, since the only German I know
comes from old movies and Volkswagen commercials.

> Thomas

Brighid, probably too sensitive for her own good

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net