SC - OT: apologies

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 26 01:17:29 PDT 2000

Isha/Arianne:

>It seems that my comment about being Wiccan, and my signing of my name
>Arianne, which, btw, has been my name since I Initiated in 1983, has
>garnered another person on this list of 2 years standing with a similar name
>to receive a private flame intended for me.

There are plenty of other Wiccans here. Anyone on this list attacking
any one else on this list for their religion is not ok.

>Mistaken identities are one thing, but when I am asked to change *my* name
>to suit someone else, when that is my Initiatory name and I have used it for
>well over 10+ years comes to me in an email that sounded a bit too
>'demanding' for my tastes, over a simple question posted that someone took
>offense at...that is where I draw the line.

Whew! There are others on this list with similar names. There have
been confusions over Phillip, Phlip, and Philippa. No one has asked
them on the list to change their names.

>I am known as Arianne or Ari in the group I associate with.  I'm sorry, but
>I won't change it simply due to someone's screw up..however mistaken it may
>have been.  And I certainly won't change my beliefs simply because someone
>took offense at them.  I stated I was Wiccan due to a question I asked...I'm
>sorry if there are some who don't care for those beliefs...but I'll be
>hanged if I will change anything of myself simply to suit other people.  My
>name is Arianne, not carpet.

Perhaps you should pass along the name of the offending person to
Papa Gunthar, our list manager.
"Michael F. Gunter" <michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com>
These are the sorts of breaches of courtesy that i'm sure he'd like
to know about.

>I normally do not lose my temper, and I apologize for doing so, but the
>email I received, and the suggestion that *I* offended people, is not
>deserved by me.
>
>However, since the other similarly named person has been here longer, and
>therefore has seniority, I will leave.  I had no idea that my name and
>beliefs would be such a bloody problem.

There's no need for you to leave the list because of one stupid
person. No one here has some sort of seniority because of their name.
Hang in here with us. Don't give up. Be strong and stand up to the
idiot. They will have sense of achievement if they think their
inexcusable behavior has succeeded in chasing you away. Stand up to
them and show them you have spine.

Anahita al-shazhiyya