SC - Rendering fat

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 23:58:34 PDT 2000

I have not attempted to render chicken any kind of fowl fat, but I have done
pork and beef.  When we butchered hogs, we rendered the lard thusly:
1.) clean a 55 gallon cast iron cauldron and place on a hot fire to preheat
2.) remove the fat and skin from the hog and cut into pieces about 3 inches
on a side.
3.) place the fat and skin into the cauldron, adding just enough water to
keep it from scorching.
4.) add minimum amounts of water occasionally until there is enough lard to
keep the fat from scorching.
5.) when the "cracklings" are golden brown, and floating, remove from the
fire and strain the lard into a clean, dry receptacle for storage.
6.) press the cracklings in a lard press to remove as much lard as possible.
7.) gorge on the hot, crisp cracklings.....this is the only time they are
really good, in my opinion.

Mordonna The Cook
SunDragon, Atenveldt
m.k.a. West Phoenix, AZ