SC - Spicing dishes

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Fri Oct 27 14:05:17 PDT 2000

Kiri skrev:

>Uhh...my understanding is that MSG/Ajinomoto is simply a flavor >enhancer
and
>posses no flavor of its own....

Uh, no Kiri. My understanding of MSG (from a friend who gets nasty migraines
from it) is that MSG is a neutral substance, which passes through your body
intact. It's flavor enhancing properties are caused by the damage it is
causing to your taste buds, thus making them more sensitive to other
flavors. I had sort of pooh poohed this guy's explanation, but I started
becoming aware of the "flavor" of MSG. I don't really think that flavor is
the proper word- it's more of a mouth/tongue feel- if you taste a few foods
with it in it, you'll likely become aware of it as well.

Apparently, MSG sensitivity is not an allergy, per se, but rather a thing
where when it passes through some people's bodies on its way to be
eliminated, it stimulates other nerve endings as well, thus causing the
migraine headaches.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous